Sunday, February 10, 2008

Famous Israelis I've met

Our Toledo newspaper, The Blade, asked Sunday, "Have you had a brush with fame?" And wants to know about it. I sent them these few:
Ariel Sharon: Likud Parliament Member, former Defense Minister, later Prime Minister. I met Ariel Sharon before and after his speech at rally in Hebron, where thousands gathered to protest the signing of the Oslo 2 accords happening simultaneously in Washington D.C. I had traveled to the biblical City of the Patriarchs with Gershon Salomon [paratrooper who helped liberate Jerusalem's Temple Mount in 1967] and other Temple Mount Faithful friends. I handed Ariel Sharon a flyer and invited him to our Hanukkah demonstration in Jerusalem.
Ehud Olmert: [Former] Mayor of Jerusalem, present Prime Minister of Israel. I met Olmert and shook his hand, just as I was leaving the Eucalyptus restaurant's opening celebration in Jerusalem. I had been invited to the party by Moshe, the owner, whose partner I once worked for.
Teddy Kollek: Former long-time Mayor of Jerusalem. I just happened to be walking past a dinner theatre he was coming out of, so I took advantage of the opportunity to say "Shabbat Shalom" and shake his hand. When I mentioned Herbert Armstrong often spoke of him, he said, "I have fond memories of the old man." (I recall thinking he wasn't looking too young himself).

Yitzhak Rabin: I met Yitzhak Rabin in the Israeli Parliament in 1982 during Hanukkah. I was able to talk with him briefly and mention I was associated with Ambassador College in Pasadena, California. That was a tactful way of saying I'm a Christian since Rabin had met and received a gift of Steuben crystal from Herbert W. Armstrong of the Worldwide Church of God.
I was a volunteer at Kibbutz Ramat Yohanan at the time, in Northern Israel near Haifa. Rabin informed me that he had lived there for over a year in the late '50s and inquired about various individuals.
**************
From Toledo to Jerusalem
Ariel Sharon: Return to the Temple Mount!
Ariel Sharon: From Zionist to Traitor
Don't Expel Jews From Gaza!
Paint Israel Black: Jews to Lose Jerusalem!
Shimon Peres Came to Power Over Rabin's Dead Body
Shimon Peres Charged with the Murder of Yitzhak Rabin?
Israel Work History (Worldwide Church of God)
The Plain Truth About Herbert W. Armstrong and the Worldwide Church of God
Herbert W. Armstrong and the Worldwide Church of God Mentioned in Israeli Newspaper
Miriam Weiss: Holocaust Survivor and Kibbutz Mother
Princess Diana, a Dream, and King David's Dynasty

No comments: